The Flat Earth Society

Bitch about other boards, blogs, sites and such
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

Every time he got mad at you guys he messaged me. At some point he gave one of you away, so I thought I'd out myself and get lynched so that the game could be fair again. He made it so the penguins won anyway! Now he's mad at me because Pez was killed and I can't make him believe that I didn't do it. lol

He is always a wild card. In the future I will never try to be in an alliance with him.... unless we are penguins together then I won't have a choice.
Dr Dave

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Dr Dave »

When I read penguins I think of the hockey team.
"I want to shower you in sugar lumps and take you to the horse dentist."- CaptainWacky

"If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget."-Welcome to Night Vale
boydster

The Flat Earth Society

Post by boydster »

1) I shared the updated 2.0.15 codebase I was working on with John, it includes the public banlist, reCAPTCHA to replace CAPTCHA, and a couple other things I can't recall off hand. Most importantly, it's the latest release of SMF which we should definitely be using.

2) I swear to God, if I could punch wise 60 times in the head right now I absolutely would. If Duck asks me to ban him for breaking his game, I will. I didn't yet, because technically the game is still going and wise is a living player. But he sucks SO much.
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

BAH HUMBUG ON THE SERVER.

I have always liked John a bunch, but it is very difficult to get him to update the forum. Just like when he said he needed help figuring out the SEO stuff and I tell him I can learn, I can read, I have time, I will do it... then nothing. All he has to do is point me in the right direction and tell me what to look for. I would work on it some every day until it was finished!
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

Son of a biscuit. I'm not even getting an error message, just a blank white page.
boydster

The Flat Earth Society

Post by boydster »

Who broke our home??
boydster

The Flat Earth Society

Post by boydster »

Some of the other links on the home page are broken too. I never really looked at them before though, so maybe they have always been that way? The error messages are saying our storage is maxed out though.

https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/in ... he-society
https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/in ... ciety-logo

Again, I've never really looked into much of what exists outside the forum, so maybe those links have been broken for a while.
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

I don't know if those have been broken for a long time or not. I guess I don't look outside the forum very often either. I wish John would take some time to let me know the things I can do to keep the forum running. Like would deleting a few hundred pages of saved avatars give us more storage? There are 302 pages of saved avatars, I bet at least half of them haven't posted in years or never posted at all. Little things that just require clicking stuff I can do. It's boring stuff, but whatever, I want the forum to run. I WISH I WAS A COMPUTER NERD.

I sent John an email a few minutes ago. Hopefully he'll get it sorted :rwmad:

ALSO, Boogie has chosen his snuggle buddy.
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

Just got a reply from John. He says he'll take a look.

I HOPE HE FIXES IT, THE WEREPENGUINS DON'T SLEEP.
boydster

The Flat Earth Society

Post by boydster »

The many many Hitler avatars could definitely stand to be purged lol. I do wish John would let more of us help. It seems like he's got too much on his plate outside the website to be able to spend much time on it, and I know you are always there willing to help. I know I'm happy to offer whatever I can, and it seems like Crouton is as well, but neither of us really has much for access rights and a lot of the issues boil down to someone needing admin privileges on the website as well as the hosting environment.
boydster

The Flat Earth Society

Post by boydster »

Everything is borked. Pretty sure it's because we are out of storage. :wallbang:

And now, a dance break.
:mjdance: :ban-dance: :chewy: :taz: :ban-mj:
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

Maybe John expected me to know what to do, but I have been pretty clear from the start that I don't know how to do technical things. I've also offered to do the more mundane things if he'd tell me what needs doing. When I ask about stuff I don't get much back from him, like "that's not a priority" or something but that doesn't tell me what I can do that is a priority. I could have deleted lots of those stored avatars by now, but he never replied to me. If he gets the forum back up, I'm just going to start deleting them. :rwmad:
Bullwinkle

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Bullwinkle »

If he didn't say no, it's yes.
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

:rwmad:
Cassie

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Cassie »

Dear boydster, when the forum comes back (and it will eventually :rwmad: ) I would like for us to have a new project. If you know of things I can do with the access that I have that will help save on storage space, pls tell me. If there are things I can do, that I might need help with, we could practice on your test site. Other than deleting all those avatars, which seems easy enough, I don't know of anything else. I don't even know if we allow other types of attachments, if we do, we shouldn't IMO.
boydster

The Flat Earth Society

Post by boydster »

First of all, absolutely we shouldn't allow the attachments that we allow on posts. I think it mostly gets used for images, but there's no need for it. Secondly though, the avatars are probably a small fraction of the space that we have, and same goes for any old attachments. That doesn't mean it is a bad idea to get rid of them, but the bigger fish here is the database size and how much space John (or whoever is in control of the moneybags) has allocated for the site. I can walk you through running some basic maintenance stuff, like optimizing the tables and removing inactive members etc, and that will help a little, and it's good to do, but it's a band-aid on an artery. Someone like JD or Daniel (Praise be upon him, hallowed be his name) might want to look through whatever else is being stored in our hosting environment to see where we can trim some fat. Or just buy more storage.
boydster

The Flat Earth Society

Post by boydster »

That's all assuming it's really a storage issue, of course. Maybe something else is going on. But that's where it helps to have more than one person with access to the hosting admin CP. It makes troubleshooting much easier. Being able to actually check the vitals is a huge help.
Bullwinkle

The Flat Earth Society

Post by Bullwinkle »

CaptainWacky

The Flat Earth Society

Post by CaptainWacky »

Cassie's internet isn't working and she wanted her FES friends to know.