Thread for Open Mic Discussion

TV, film, print, theater/performing arts, and that mime in the park
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

I went to this open mic last week that was just a small group of people sitting amongst bookshelves in a circle reading their poetry. I walked in late. I walked in expecting a stage and a mic and people playing guitar. But instead I opened up a door to a small cramped space and someone asked if I was needing to get through to get to the bookshelves and I said, "No, I am here for the open mic" and a guy said, "Oh, take my chair" Surprised I said, "Okay" and I took his chair.
I sat down in the comfortable rocking chair as he sat on the floor next to a stand which held an old typewriter. I began to look around the room and felt so comfortable. I heard someone reading their contribution and it was beautiful and thought provoking and sad. I heard another contribution and thought the same as well. It got around to me and I opted not to share, but just listen and absorb. I did not come prepared to share and left my notes of stand up jokes in my car intending to go back for them once I checked the place out.
Next somoene handed out paper and gave us a theme to write about, "Grit" or "roads" or something. I had a pen that didn't write very well, and a book to write on. I wrote about feeling like a child, small and insignificant.
I listened to the other contributions and then shared mine. It went well I think. I loved hearing what people wrote.
I also want to talk more about the room. I felt like I was immedietly transported into the 80's. The room was amazing and it felt safe for some reason. I want to go back and I will again on Monday. I have been thinking about it off and on all week.
I am not sure whether I will commit to writing about seriuos stuff or if I will share some comedy. I sort of feel like keeping it serious, I mean I want to share some comedy but I dont' want to feel presured to do so each week.
Can I be both funny and serious?
Plus next time I go back I will take pictures-pictures of the star wars book section and more.
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

Post by Eggs Loki »

:thumbup: <-- we don't have a karma system here yet, lol

Your voice is your voice -- if it's a blend of funny and serious, so be it. Just do you, and worry about what box it fits in later.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

:thumbup: Thanks Eggs! I am 2minutes and 3 tacos away from the place. But I have no expectations!
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

Open Mic NITE 2:

I told a couple people about this open mic and one of them was there. We sat next to each other.
There were 13 people. I guess I missed the basic format of how this thing goes-basically it went around the room 3 times and people could read or sing or do whatever it is they do.
It is more of a writers circle. Most from this night also do an actual open mic night on Thursdays.
I mostly listened and shared one thing. I was distracted because I didn't know we could share more than one thing-and even when it came time to do the writing I didn't share.
Next time!
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

Let the tacos work their magic.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

Giving traveling to the next town a rest until the weather gets better. Plus, I need to find a stage to do some comedy. I am getting full already, I might just fart the comedy out of my ass if I don't get it out of my system on stage first.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

There are so many jokes to be had with the weather right now. People posting how much snow they got-snow bragging is a thing!
boydster

Post by boydster »

You should do a rap at the next open mic night.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

This seems like so long ago.

Here are the 2 boob jokes I was told by a customer.

Why does a murrmaid wear sea shells?

Because D shells are too big and B shells are too small.

What did the bra say to the hat?

You go on a head, I'll give these 2 a lift.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

Also I am going to use this space to write something else about yesterday.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

And just like that
the day was over.
We pulled into Chelan and in the water was a very large dead fish and a seagull eatting its face.
And the tourists
were standing in awe of it
taking its picture.
As the seagull became annoyed at having its meal eating being watched
I became annoyed and fascniated as well.
I suppose I wasn't actually too annoyed, but I was, but not at the picture taking or the fish eating.
I was annoyed at the day.
The very very long long day.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

I just remembered the paddle boards. Where to put them.
The captain isn't here, what do we do?
I actually made several suggestions, but none were taken to consideration, because what do I know?
When the captain returned he said, "Why didn't they just lay then like this?"
I just shrugged my shoulders.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

The day prior one of our boats broke down, leaving us with the 2 boats, which one wasn't scheduled to run that day anyway, so we had some space to move what few passengers were on the larger slower boat onto the smaller faster boats.

The journey started out slow. I could have made an announcement that the Galley was open, but I didn't. Usually people just find it on thier own and many ask where the alcohol is. Sorry, no alcohol.

The paddle boarders were constantly asking me questions about the weather, the conditions of the water, the mileage. I asked if they had ever even been uplake?
They had, but hadn't studied it like now, since they were about to travel 50 some miles downlake on thier paddle boards for 4 days camping along the way.
People make this journey with kayaks, canoes and small un motorized vessels and I am always amazed at the lack of knowledge they have for the lake. People think it is just a lake, but they don't realize that in the middle of the lake the weather drastically changes and waves can get quite big and there is no shore, just steep rocks. This lake is similar to fjords in Norway I've been told.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

I spent the beginning of summer worrying about every person who ventured out on that journey, but I didn't have the energy today for those kinds of questions. I diverted them to the captains who would be more knowledgeable about the mileage, winds and weather.
This late in the season I can't care anymore, especially for people's unplanning. Now if they were going in a week and were using this day to find out information, I would have probably dispensed all the information I knew. Which I pretty much did anyway, but not with as much fervor.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

We dropped hikers off. Picked passengers up and dropped one person off at thier private residence, to which they had to descend some very rickety stairs, since the other boat is more accomodating with a ramp, this one has none. What an adventure!
We pull into our uplake destination and get the passengers unloaded, the paddle boards and then the freight and luggage.

Everything has actually felt pretty calm up until this point.
I realize I will not get a lunch and I just set my chair down on the back deck and go to work while snacking on some food in between customers having questions about the schedule and people needing things.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

We load over 100 people on board after the layover and head on our way.

And thus my memory cuts out.

Oh wait, it is coming back to me.

One lady we boarded said her grandaughter was to be picked up at Fish Creek. She had decided it would be fun to run the 7 miles over hilly terrain in just her running clothes and catch the boat there. It had been pre-planned.
Well she never made it to Fish Creek. And the grandmother says, "Well I guess we will do plan B then" which I didn't ask what her plan B was because all I could think of was that her grandaughter (adult by the way) had fallen somewhere. My brain could not handle this type of thing either.
Turns out her grandaughter couldn't find Fish Creek dock from the trail and had gone instead to Moore Point and was attempting to flag us down. The boat we were on can not pick or drop off passengers at Moore point, but a smaller Crew Boat just happened to be passing by and saw what was happening and so picked up our passenger and brought her to the next dock where we could pick her up.
My mind was happy that she was safe, but again disapointed in people's poor planning and them not realizing the stress they put upon other people for that.
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

We pick up luggage and the remaining passengers at Lucerne and make one more stop to pick up 2 passengers at the previous place with the rickets stairs.

Oh, here is one thing I do not like about the boats, they have no AC. I mean to some that seems natural, to others it is not.

There are windows and doors which can be opened or closed to regulate temperatures, but someone is always cold and someone is always hot. (usually me)
The afternoon temperatures had warmed up, so the front door had remained open, until one local passenger with a business said he coudlnt' read his newspaper because it was too windy.
So I closed the door leaving it open just slightly to allow for some air flow.
Then an hour later or so , a passenger complains about it being too warm and not enough ventilation since some are choosing not to wear masks, (which is a whole nother topic)
So I close the back door and open the front door. This makes it not as windy. But unfortunately the galley doesn't get relief from this and I had to re-arrange 2 passengers that were sitting near the back door.
It seems the people that are the coldest are always sitting up front and never seem to bring anything warm to wear-WTF PEOPLE! Bring a freaking jacket!
Mirah

Post by Mirah »

The Masks:
Masks are mandated in this state for indoors. Masks are required on public transportation.
We are not enforcing it.
Some captains wear masks and enforce it, others do not.
It is frustrating to have these differing situations from each day and boat especially when the passengers ride multiple boats on multiple days with different captains.

One captain makes an announcement in the morning, "If you are sitting inside please wear a mask. Outside decks it is not required and if you don't want to wear a mask please don't get on board"
I had never heard any captain make that announcement yet and I was so happy.
But then the next day or shift or boat I am on-with a captain and a 2nd captain who dont themselves believe in wearing masks. So......
There is that.

So I have people coming up to me saying "That family is not wearing a mask" Or please open the doors because people aren't wearing masks. Or they come in from being outside and they come to order something from the galley and they aren't wearing a mask.
I'm not going to confront everyone, especially on a small boat, it feels uncomfortable. I did place a box of masks next to the family where only 1 person was wearing a mask and said "We have some spare masks if you need some" and then I let them know the mask reuirements since they weren't there for the original announcement. They actually had masks and put them on. I was pleased.
BUT THEN ALSO NOT PLEASED, because that meant I had to wear a mask the full time I was in the galley. Which when no one is there I usually take it off.
And usually people have it off at thier individual tables.

I dislike peopel right now and find it amazing the amount of people that have no problem "telling on others" or wanting something done just because they can't fingure out to bring a jacket or sit in a wamer location, or go outside if they need fresh air. I have never been that person to make others uncomfortable for my own comfort. Maybe one day I will have to and I will just have to face that day when it comes, but for now I try to take care of my own comfort and not expect others around me to suffer for it.