My computer is fried IMO

Science, Tech, and Gaming
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

I have a virus, the techbrolo rfn one. I've removed it twice with windows security essentials. Now I can't get firefox to work at all, it won't even refresh. I'm using Chrome which I don't like because it opens everything in a new window, everything I click inside the same website opens in a new window. When I click submit it will open a new window. Fuck.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

I got firefox to refresh, but I still don't know what to do to get this shit off my computer :rwmad:

I am going to download microsoft's safety scanner.

I WILL REPORT BACK.
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Eggs Loki »

MALWAREBYTES?

Sometimes it pays to buy a third party security suite or anti-virus app. NOT NORTON. FRUCK NORTON. Also NOT MCAFEE, ICK.

I use:

AVG Internet Security - this provides good all around background security, as well as a better firewall.

iObit Advanced System Care - This is a good set of problem solvers, but they suck you in by selling different solutions separately. But using the free version of either of these might help your immediate problem.
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

Malwarebytes hasn't detected this techbrolo monster at all and I've ran the scan about 4 times this week. Same for SUPERantispyware. Windows security essentials did find it twice and removed it. Now I've reset all three browsers, I've ran the malicious software removal tool, and the safety scanner. I only did quick scans on those because fuck I am getting tired of it! lol

I'm thinking about ccleaner. I don't know if it will find little bits of files that don't belong, but I know it will get rid of all the cookies and temp files (which I've already done manually :rwmad: ) I know they had a virus a few months ago, but I think they've fixed it.
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Eggs Loki »

If I go to a sketchy site to watch videos or some other nefarious deed, I usually remove the cookies right afterward. Firefox has a good manager for this in Privacy & Security options, where you can view your cookies by date, and just get rid of all the new/unfamiliar ones from the current day.
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

Oh that's a good idea!
Dr Dave

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Dr Dave »

I hope you don't have to set your computer on fire.
"I want to shower you in sugar lumps and take you to the horse dentist."- CaptainWacky

"If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget."-Welcome to Night Vale
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

Today things seem normal, but I know there could be a little corrupt piece of this EVIL THING hiding somewhere on my computer just waiting to get me. :rwmad:

These are the things I've done.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected and removed JS/techbrolo! rfn twice. (and it came back anyway)
I reset/refreshed all the browsers.
Scanned with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware - didn't find anything
Scanned again with Security Essentials and it didn't find anything.
I ran Microsoft malicious software removal tool and it said it found 1 infected file, but at the end of the scan it said there weren't any.
I downloaded and ran CCleaner and checked "java" since that isn't part of the default scan. I ran CCleaner twice just to be sure! lol I did not let it fix the registry because I read that is bad and can mess up your computer.
I downloaded and ran microsoft's safety scanner and it didn't find anything.

Maybe I got it this time, but I was wondering if I should do this https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc ... es-2626161
CaptainWacky

My computer is fried IMO

Post by CaptainWacky »

I hope nothing goes wrong with my computer ever again because I'm getting a headache just reading all those anti-virus scanner names.
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

AND ANOTHER THING. I just downloaded and scanned with Malwarebyte's adwcleaner (maybe I misspelled that but I'm not checking) and it found a couple things, and fixed them, but I don't think they were virus or adware.
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Eggs Loki »

Every time I do a google search about the virus, I get pages that look like tech help sites but it ends up with them trying to sell their own anti-virus suite as the solution. THE INTERWEBS IS TRICKSY.
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

Yeah, I've been relying on links I get from bleeping computer and microsoft's help thing (it's not a forum but kinda like a forum).

I've got my fingers crossed, so far it hasn't come back.
boydster

My computer is fried IMO

Post by boydster »

Good luck! I like Sophos for AV, but no matter what you use, after something gets through it's time to download something new to identify/fix it.
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

I think I might be okay now. No weirdness since I refreshed/reset all the browsers and ran CCleaner. Maybe that little bit of techbrolo was hiding in a temp file that wasn't getting deleted when I cleared cookies and cache, and maybe CCleaner got it. I just hope it hasn't done anything to the registry. I don't know how to fix that sort of thing.

I AM KNOCKING ON WOOD AND CROSSING MY FINGERS.
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Eggs Loki »

YAY I'm glad.

One of the features of the iObit scan is "Registry clean" which has been nice. I haven't lost things and I use it almost daily.
Cassie

My computer is fried IMO

Post by Cassie »

adwcleaner also reset winsock, I don't know what exactly that does, but maybe that helped also. I DON'T KNOW.